Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ethics, continued

A discussion in class Saturday brought me back to the idea of ethics and the representation of people. What does it mean to present these images? Am I taking the right route or can it be said that I am assuming their voice? What can my presentation say to people who see the final piece? The work is meant to stand with a certain amount of reverence, to the people and their lives. It is also meant to present them in a humbly understated way. A sort of quiet monument-not a spectacle. Who am I to speak for these people? There is a difference between someone who would come from the outside and create this work, and me, who has been involved in the community for many years. Does this information need to be involved in the final piece for the work to be more effective?
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment